Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement - Police Service of Northern Ireland
||Police Service of Northern Ireland
|Position / Title
||Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement
|How To Apply
JOB ROLE: Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement
The main duties and responsibilities associated with the role include the following:
- Developing and driving the implementation of the Strategic Communications and Engagement Strategy and Annual Business Plan.
- Supporting senior executive management in identifying and maintaining their relationships with key partners.
- Increasing the organisation’s capacity and capability to manage strategic risks with due regard to the views of all stakeholders.
- Liaising directly with the Chief Constable, Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Chief Constable to ensure that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is appropriately positioned to inform and influence the direction of policing and public service reform.
- Ensuring appropriate engagement with senior levels of other public bodies (including government, political advisors, National Policing Bodies and academics) to inform their understanding of policing and the broader criminal justice and community safety context.
- Understanding the implications of emerging strategic issues to identify, create and implement effective communications for dialogue with key partners.
- Developing strategic responses, position papers and speeches for the Chief Constable, Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Chief Constable.
- Preparing briefing papers and reports for the Senior Executive Team on a range of complex Public Affairs issues; providing accurate and current analysis.
- Supporting appropriate and effective political engagement at all levels.
- Digital Communications
- Developing and embedding the implementation of an innovative and creative corporate digital communications strategy.
- Drawing on best practice to continuously improve the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s digital presence.
- Leading on strategic planning and production of all digital products to deliver integrated communication which is digital by default.
- Inspiring a team of digital specialists to design and deliver fast-time communication outputs that maximize internal and external engagement opportunities.
- Acting as a best practice standard setter for digital professionalism within policing.
- Ensuring that the Media function provides agile and 24 hour communication responses that reflect corporate messaging on strategic issues.
- Developing compelling strategic narratives that:
- ensure that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is effectively represented to external audiences
- contribute to public confidence
- reduce the fear of crime
- inform the public about the work of the Police Service of Northern Ireland within the context of criminal justice
- Identifying communications synergies between partner organisations to create operational efficiency and value for money.
- Overseeing the organisation’s engagement with senior media leaders on critical issues within policing (Editors, Senior Managers and other key personnel).
- Internal Communications
- Developing and implementing an effective internal communications strategy to ensure appropriate, accurate and fit-for-purpose messaging via a range of mediums.
- Supporting senior colleagues to plan and implement the service’s strategic and tactical communication needs.
- Ensuring that the Police Service of Northern Ireland intranet site is recognised internally as reliable and informative.
Budget and Resources
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement has responsibility for leading a fast-paced department of approximately 64 police staff, currently located in Police Headquarters, Belfast. The role-holder has autonomy for ensuring that resources are appropriately directed to meet operational demand and to achieve departmental objectives and targets.
- The role holder is the budget holder and must ensure value-for-money is achieved within the services provided by the department.
This Job Description reflects the main duties and responsibilities associated with this position. It is not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive.
Thank you for your interest, this resource is available to PRII Members only. To
learn about the full range of membership benefits please click the button below.