Trócaire are looking to recruit for a Communications Officer
Trócaire works in partnership with local organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected; basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably; people have control over their own lives; and those in power act for the common good.
Trócaire’s Communications team is comprised of a Head of Communications, a Communications Manager, two Communications Officers, a Digital Communications Officer, a Digital Communications Producer, a Communications & Content Officer and a Digital Project Management Officer.
The purpose of this role is to plan and roll-out communications campaigns, delivering high quality media coverage and developing messages and content that engages the wider public on Trócaire’s work. The primary focus is on delivering media profile for the organisation by writing articles and statements, as well as arranging broadcast interviews.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, this is a specified purpose contract to provide temporary cover and is based in Maynooth with some travel in Ireland and overseas.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and roll-out media engagement for a wide variety of fundraising, advocacy and humanitarian campaigns.
- Write press releases, opinion articles, magazine features and other written materials to support Trócaire’s campaigns.
- Proactively identify opportunities to develop Trócaire’s public profile on key issues, leading the organisation’s public engagement response to external events and political processes.
- Organise and accompany media on overseas visits to Trócaire programme countries.
- Arrange broadcast interviews, acting as spokesperson when necessary and at other times preparing and briefing colleagues for interviews.
- Develop and maintain strong links with a wide range of journalists across print, broadcast and online.
- Develop key messages on topical issues and support colleagues through the production of FAQs and briefing documents.
- Contribute to Trócaire’s digital communications channels by writing blogs and social media content to support campaigns or initiatives.
- Write materials, including letters and emails, to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain excellent working relations with colleagues across the organisation, in Ireland and across the world, offering support to various teams to ensure the effective delivery of cross-organisational plans.
- Deliver occasional talks or presentations, sometimes during evenings or weekends, to Trócaire supporters or other key audiences.
- Other duties as assigned by the Communications Manager or Head of Communications.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- Third level qualification in a related field and / or significant journalism or PR experience.
- Significant professional experience (2 years+) in national journalism in Ireland (print, broadcast or online) and/or PR/Communications.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to produce high-quality articles, statements and promotional materials to tight deadlines.
- A strong knowledge of the Irish media environment and a proven ability to build and maintain relationships with journalists.
- An ability to identify key opportunities and leverage them for media profile.
- A proven self-starter capable of developing initiatives as well as taking on assigned work.
- A team player who can build relationships across a variety of units and stakeholders.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- A belief in the mandate of Trócaire and the ethos of the organisation.
- A willingness to travel to the developing world, sometimes at short notice and to difficult environments.