Ireland East Hospital Group (IEHG), with our Academic Partner University College Dublin (UCD), is the largest and most diverse hospital group in Ireland in terms of population, budget, staffing, number of hospitals/Community Health Organisations (CHOs), and geographical spread. IEHG aims to deliver consistently high quality, safe care, while transforming and integrating clinical services across the 11 hospitals in the Group to meet the needs of the people we serve. Our ambition is to be the national leader in healthcare delivery, with a strong international reputation, continuously improving the quality of healthcare and patient outcomes for our 1 million population. To achieve this, we will progress our strategic plan for service configuration and development of an Academic Health Science Centre.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Communications professional to help us achieve our ambition of becoming a national leader in healthcare delivery.
||Ireland East Hospital Group
||The Ireland East Hospital Group Corporate Team is currently based at Mater University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Location of post may change in the near future to an alternative location within the Dublin area.
||21 March 2018
|Position / Title
||Communications Officer, Grade V.
||Group Communications Department.
||Group Communications Manager or other nominated manager within the Communications Team.
||Whole-time five year specified purpose contract.
|How To Apply
Applications to be made by CV and cover letter to Anne Marie Kennedy.
Tel: 045 988 383
IEHG are seeking to recruit a Communications Officer who will help us to deliver on our Group Communications Strategy, help build a robust integrated digital communications platform, and create opportunities to drive a positive news agenda through our many hospital launches, events and media relations. We are looking for someone who will become a member of our enthusiastic team and who will share their creative input to help broaden our ability to promote the important projects being undertaken by the staff throughout the Hospital Group.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the health services and to help us drive forward our ambitions and promote the world-class healthcare solutions we provide to the people we serve.
Principal Communications Officer Duties
- Assisting in the coordinating and executing of Internal and External Communications activity
- Creating and maintaining query logs
- Researching and drafting press materials
- Issuing press releases
- Daily media monitoring
- Supporting all Group and Hospital event planning and management
- Report writing
- Developing and maintain relationships with all stakeholders, hospitals, Group and Media
- Supporting senior members of staff
Press Office. FOI & PQs Function:
- Provide support and co-ordinate all information requests pertaining to Ireland East Hospital Group and in particular our five statutory hospitals. The role will require liaison with hospital FOI co-ordinators, Management, Medical Manpower and other Senior Group and Hospital Management teams, as well as working closely with Acute Hospitals Division and other Hospital Groups.
- Assist in achieving the plans outlined in the Groups Communications Strategy and Action Plan which will reach a range of different stakeholders both internally and externally and will be aligned to the Strategic and Operational needs of the Group.
Media Relations & Public Affairs
- Support the Group Communications Manager in building the IEHG brand ensuring consistency of application across all sites. Ensure the corporate image is maintained on all publications.
- Assist in developing and sustaining positive relationships with the media, maximising positive coverage and ensuring balance in all media coverage to improve public perceptions of, and promote public confidence in, all hospitals in the Group.
- Assist in the drafting of press statements, political and media briefings as required.
- Ensure that the Group’s views are always appropriately represented in the development of written materials including online content, press statements, Freedom of Information requests from the media, and Ministerial Briefings.
- Assist in the provision of an effective press office function which gives accurate and timely responses to media enquiries and monitors media coverage to identify weak areas and develop and maintain areas of strength.
- Assist in the development, production, and distribution of the Group’s annual report and organisation of staff communication and engagement events including Town Halls and other stakeholder events.
- Assess; measure and report on the impact of communications & press office initiatives.
- Maintain a media response log and diary which captures media queries & issues
- Monitor, analyse and report on the Group’s media coverage.
- Work closely with the Group Communications Manager & other Group Leads on communications for responding to a crisis or handling serious incidents.
Key Competencies Required:
Professional Knowledge & Experience
- An understanding of acute hospital services, particularly the IEHG
- Knowledge of effective digital & general communication strategies and systems
- Knowledge and understanding of the Freedom of Information Acts and other relevant legislation and policies.
- Knowledge and understanding of press office functions
- Knowledge of health systems and the political environment.
- A good knowledge of Press and Media, especially those in the Health & Public Affairs Arena
- Knowledge of Health Literacy guidelines and experience in creating accessible content suitable for a wide audience.
- Knowledge of Crisis Management techniques
- Excellent MS Office skills to include, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and experience of using an email system effectively e.g. Outlook, Lotus Notes.
Communications & Interpersonal Skills
- Effective verbal communication skills, delivering complex information clearly, concisely and confidently
- Excellent written communication skills including strong report writing and presentation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent reporting skills
Planning & Organising and Delivery of Results
- The ability to successfully work on a range of different projects and work activities concurrently,
- Ability to use latest technology and tools to best perform tasks such as reporting on PowerPoint or Excel spread sheets
- The ability to proactively identify areas for improvement and the confidence to share and implement practical solutions as them may arise with senior management
- The ability to embrace change and adapt local work practices accordingly by finding practical ways to make policies work, ensuring the team knows how to action changes
- The ability to use resources effectively, challenging processes to improve efficiencies where appropriate
Evaluating Information, Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- The ability to quickly grasp and understand complex issues and the impact on service delivery
- The ability to confidently explain the rationale behind decisions when faced with opposition
- Ability to make sound decisions with a well-reasoned rationale and to stand by these
- Initiative in the resolution of complex issues
Building and Maintaining Relationships including Teamwork & Leadership Skills
- The ability to build and maintain relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders and to achieve results through collaborative working.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic team and multi stakeholder environment.
- Flexibility, adaptability and openness to working effectively in a changing environment.
Commitment to a Quality Service
- Evidence of incorporating the needs of the service user into service delivery.
- Evidence of practicing and promoting a strong focus on delivering high quality customer service for internal and external customers.
- Commitment to developing own knowledge and expertise.
- Evidence of setting high standards of performance for self and others, ensuring accurate attention to detail and consistent adherence to procedures and current standards within area of responsibility
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Communications Agency or similar Internal communications role which required the ability to multi-task and work across a number of areas such as:
- Press Office & Media Relations
- Development of communications campaigns
- Event Management
- Digital/Social Media
- Management of FOI/PQ requests
- Public Relations
- Demonstrated capacity to achieve results through engagement with multiple stakeholders as relevant to this role.
- Possess sufficient administrative capacity to discharge the functions of the grade.
Candidates must have at the latest date of application: - A Leaving Certificate qualification is mandatory with a qualification and/or experience in Communications, Journalism, Digital Communications or Marketing preferable.