Communications Manager - Music Network
Music Network is a national music touring and development organisation, passionate about making live music happen. Funded by The Arts Council, the organisation holds a unique position in the Irish music sector and is seen as a highly valuable resource for the development and presentation of quality live music in Ireland.
Music Network is currently seeking a Communications Manager to manage and develop Music Network’s Communications Strategy, and to play a key role in development and delivery of our Strategic Policy and our Income Diversification Strategy.
Working as part of a small, close-knit team, this full-time role needs a qualified professional who has gained credible experience of Communications and demonstrated a clear appetite to roll-up their sleeves. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in Irish traditional, jazz and/or classical music (and arts and culture in general) and a strong commitment to increasing public access to live music and to supporting musicians to excel in the performance and creation of music.
||24 September 2021
|Position / Title
||PR & Marketing Officer and Development Officer
|How To Apply
Please email your CV and cover letter in strict confidence, with ‘Communications Manager role application’ in the subject header to Loading...
Applications must be received by Friday, 24th September at 4pm.
- To manage and develop Music Network’s Communications Strategy, including internal and external communications relating to a diverse portfolio of activities. This includes working with our Programmes Manager in relation to promotion and publicity for programmes including Music Network’s Dublin concert series, and assisting promoters to develop audiences at local level
- To play a key role in development and delivery of Music Network’s Strategic Policy. This includes monitoring and analysing current activity, developing new initiatives, and advancing relationships with key stakeholders
- Working with our CEO and Development Officer in developing and implementing the organisation’s income diversification strategy.
- The position involves working in a small, vibrant and fast-paced environment within an organisation committed to developing music in Ireland. Administrative support to the Communications Manager role is provided by our PR & Marketing Officer.
1. Media Relations
Responsible for managing communications with members of the press including handling queries, preparing and issuing press releases, managing radio and TV interviews, acting as spokesperson if necessary and keeping media informed on the full range of Music Network’s activities including:
- Concert programmes
- Music policy development initiatives
- Audience development initiatives
- Musician funding schemes
- Advocacy work
- Other projects and events as they arise.
Responsible for writing and supervising circulation of press releases for the above activities, as a basis for developing and sustaining a network of key contacts within the national media (print, radio, TV, online) for the purposes of winning editorial coverage.
Supervising the PR & Marketing Officer in preparation and distribution of promotional tools tailored for use by local partners in attracting local media coverage across the country with regards to regional concerts and other regional/local activities.
Supervising the PR & Marketing Officer in the collation of support materials for national and local press including:
- Photocalls and photoshoots as required for tours or other events e.g. launches
- Promotional tools for Learning & Participation events, in liaison with our Programmes Administrator.
2. Design and print of promotional materials
Overseeing the design of, and supervising the PR & Marketing Officer in the scheduling and preparation of, promotional materials for our range of organisational activities.
Promotional materials may include:
- Concert programmes
- Season brochures
- Posters and fliers
- Digital content
- Miscellaneous organisational documents, e.g. invitations, Friends Scheme brochure, policy documents, advertisements etc.
- commissioning programme notes
- collating, editing and proofing written and pictorial content.
3. Marketing and Communications
Website & online marketing
Responsibility for overseeing the management, maintenance and updating of our website; managing Music Network's online presence, including email marketing, social media, online advertising and online PR.
Editorial role, generating copy where necessary, and with responsibility for supervising the preparation and distribution of our range of e-newsletters and e-bulletins for distribution to audiences, partner promoters, musicians and other stakeholders.
Responsibility for planning and writing advertisements as necessary, and supervising the PR & Marketing Officer in placing them.
Securing and servicing media partnerships including management of acknowledgement and facilitation needs. Similar support servicing corporate sponsors as required.
Responsibility for managing development and implementation of Institutional Marketing activity, in conjunction with our CEO and Programmes Manager; oversight of our Friends Scheme, which is managed by our Development Officer.
Responsibility for advising on, and monitoring implementation of, acknowledgement guidelines by subsidiary companies and all other relevant initiatives and events established, managed by, or in partnership with, Music Network.
4. Strategic development
- Pro-active role in planning and development of new strategic initiatives in conjunction with our CEO
- Specific responsibility for the organisation’s Communications Strategy
- Monitoring and analysis of data relating to current activity in order to inform new developments
- Overseeing design and delivery of more intensive supports to selected partner promoters
- Deepening relations with key stakeholders in order to raise the profile of the organisation.
5. Fundraising and finance
- Playing a key role in developing and implementing an income diversification strategy for the organisation
- Working with our CEO and Development Officer on evolving relationships with existing and potential financial supporters – statutory, philanthropic, private
- Assistance with preparation and/or presentation of fundraising proposals
- Managing a substantial programme budget.
- Working closely with the CEO, Programmes Manager and Finance Manager to deliver the strategic objectives of the organisation
- In line with the evolving needs of the organisation, undertaking such other duties as may from time to time be assigned.
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- A third level or post-graduate qualification in communications, public relations or marketing
- At least 3 consecutive years of relevant experience in Communications in a full-time capacity (or part-time equivalent over a longer period)
- Experience in managing and supporting staff
- A keen awareness of the strategic value of PR and marketing
- A detailed knowledge of classical, jazz or Irish traditional music and a genuine interest in all three genres
- Experience of developing/delivering fundraising/advocacy campaigns
- A keen awareness of and interest in issues surrounding music development in Ireland
- Experience in crisis communications management
- An appreciation of the importance of Music Network’s role nationally.
- A dynamic approach to work, ability to prioritise the demands of a multi-faceted organisation and willingness to take the initiative
- The ability to operate flexibly as part of a close-knit team
- Ability to work consistently and accurately to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage relationships with key suppliers such as photographers, copywriters, design and print agencies
- Commitment to ensuring the highest standards in the presentation of live music
- Strong management, administrative and I.T. skills
- Ability to use marketing as part of a strategic approach to audience development
- Well-developed interpersonal and negotiating skills
- A high level of motivation, a positive disposition and sound judgement.