The Global Alliance launched the Global Capabilities Framework for Public Relations and Communication Management at the World Public Relations Forum in Oslo last week.
This is the fruit of a two-year research project led by Dr Anne Gregory (who Members will remember spoke at the 2015 PRII Annual Conference) from the University of Huddersfield (UK), with partners in eight countries across six continents.
This research asked practitioners, educators and employers in each country what they thought public relations is capable of, and how it can best fulfil its potential. The Global Capability Framework (GCF), represents those capabilities which are shared around the world.
The framework takes a high-level view of what practitioners can deliver:
1. To align communication strategies with organisational purpose and values
2. To identify and address communication problems proactively
3. To conduct formative and evaluative research to underpin communication strategies and tactics
4. To communicate effectively across a full range of platforms and technologies
5. To facilitate relationships and build trust with internal and external stakeholders and communities
6. To build and enhance organisational reputation
7. To provide contextual intelligence
Professional Capabilities (those expected of any professional):
8. To provide valued counsel and be a trusted advisor
9. To offer organisational leadership
10. To work within an ethical framework on behalf of the organization, in line with professional and societal expectations
11. To develop self and others, including continuing professional learning
Practitioners can use the framework to assess their own capability and potential, and set their own goals. While employers and team leaders can use the framework to understand their team’s existing strengths and identify where training resources need to be committed and educators can use it as the basis for curriculum development and review.
Read the GCF here.
Thank you for your interest in the PRII Media Sourcebook which is available to full PRII members (MPRII & FPRII) and Life Fellows of the Institute. Affiliate, Associate and Student members of the PRII may purchase discounted access to this online edition.
Thank you for your interest, this resource is available to PRII Members only. To learn about the full range of membership benefits please click the button below.