This is a preview of how the document will print. Print now! Cancel
Print Email a Friend
Certificate in Social Media
In a digitally connected world, it is becoming increasingly important that we integrate social media and social networking skills into our PR and communication programmes.
To prepare PR professionals to adequately and competently exploit new media, the PRII's Institute-accredited certification programme will equip you with the practical knowledge you need to fully develop social media tools.
Do I really need to do this course?
Yes. You undoubtedly know all the buzzwords, have read widely on the subject, and may even be networking, blogging or micro-blogging at quite a sophisticated level, but this qualification is uniquely designed to formalise your body of knowledge and bring it to the next level. Here, you will learn how to critically evaluate which social media engines offer your communication efforts most potential and why; will overcome any technology weaknesses that may be holding you back; and will be equipped to write a social media strategy for your own or a client organisation with confidence and ease.
With "social media skills now almost as important as traditional media relations skills when it comes to PR hiring decisions”, according to the Digital Readiness Report, it is only a matter of time before you ask yourself not ‘can I afford to do this course’ but ‘can I afford not to’?
Here's what previous delegates have to say:
"Engaging, highly informative and interactive...a great course"
"Plenty of practical advice and tips, so loads to think about"
"Fantastic insights and ideas...Krishna is a walking, talking social media encyclopedia!"
What exactly will I learn?
The PRII Certificate in Social Media will provide delegates with a solid grounding in all the key concepts, techniques, theories and skills needed to develop effectively as a social media specialist. On completion of this course you will:
- Understand why social media allow communicators to practice what is arguably their most important skill: Listening
- Be able to demonstrate comprehensively how social media can have an impact not only on company and brand awareness but on the bottom line too
- Know how to properly strategise before you begin implementing
- Be capable of disseminating news and information on a number of platforms that builds a conversation, promotes trust and creates advocates for your business
- Have learned to avoid what others are doing wrong and capitalise on what is being done right
- Have the know-how to jump in and handle a crisis in real-time
- Recognise the importance of evaluation and develop appropriate research tools.
The course is a combination of classroom time (9.30am – 4.30pm over four full days), home study and examination by written assessment. Classroom sessions are intensive and participative and will include a variety of approaches including lectures, group discussions and practical exercices. A number of guest lecturers will also make presentations, aiding the overall learning experience.
About the course leader
Krishna De is an award winning digital marketing, brand engagement and social media author, speaker, commentator and mentor. Considered one of Europe’s foremost social media communications strategists, her expertise in this area is featured in several highly acclaimed books including World Wide Rave, published by Wiley, and The Career Doctor: How To Get And Keep The Job You Want, published by Currach Press.
Krishna’s unique mix of knowledge, capability and experience is the result of an extensive international career working at company executive and board level in over 30 countries around the world. Currently, her digital marketing and social media agency works with a number of Ireland’s and Europe’s leading companies, helping them to create and incorporate digital and social media programmes into their marketing and communication efforts.
A member of the Social Media Working Group of the Irish Internet Association, Krishna is also the social media expert on the faculty of the Irish Digital Marketing Institute. In addition, she was the instigator and co-founder of Ireland’s first conference dedicated to social media, PodCamp Ireland, and is the Founder and Vice Chair of The Association for Coaching in Ireland.
A sought after spokesperson on the subjects of social media, branding and career success, Krishna’s expertise has been highlighted in the broadcast media and in leading publications including the Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, The Irish Times, The Independent, The Sunday Business Post, The Sunday Times, Computers in Business, Smart Company and Marketing Age.
She is also a featured expert at Brand Republic, Small Business Branding, Business Blog Consulting, Raintoday and WebProNews.
- Saturday 08 February 2014
- Saturday 22 February 2014
- Saturday 08 March 2014
- Saturday 22 March 2014
The course will be delivered at the Burlington Hotel in Upper Leeson Street, Dublin 4. The Burlington offers secure, on-site parking and is also serviced by Dublin Bus and Dublin Aircoach services. The city centre and nearest DART and LUAS stops are a ten-minute walk from the hotel.
In addition to comprehensive course notes, delegates will be provided with two core text books. These are:
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly - by David Meerman Scott
- The Social Media MBA: Your Competitive Edge in Social Media Strategy Development and Delivery - by Christer Holloman
Each delegate will be examined on the basis of their attendance record and on the result of a written assessment designed to test their knowledge of key social media, including blogging, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and LinkedIn. This assessment must be completed and submitted by Friday, 02 May 2014. The course is accredited by the Public Relations Institute of Ireland, who will award a certificate to delegates who successfully meet the stated requirements.
Course fees are €1,460 for PRII members and €1,790 for non-members. Fees include course materials, teas/coffees and lunches, in addition to the final examination and issuing of certificates. Delegates are responsible for their own travel arrangements as well as overnight accommodation and evening meals, if required.
Registration fees must be paid in full at the time of registration. In the event of a cancellation 14 days or more prior to the course commencement date, fees will be refunded less a 10% administration charge. Regrettably, fees cannot be refunded for cancellations received less than two weeks before the course begins but substitutions may be made.
Queries should be addressed to Annmarie Jordan at email@example.com
, or call (01) 661 8004.
- Current trends in online communications
- Establishing the goals and KPIs for your social media communications programme
- Monitoring your online reputation
- Writing for the social web
- Developing your social media policies and guidelines
- Social bookmarking, sharing and curation
- Expanding your reach and visibility through blogging and influencer outreach
- Bring your brand to life using multimedia - audio, video and images
- Building your professional network on LinkedIn
- Using Facebook for business communications
- Using Facebook ads for online PR
- Using Twitter for business communications
- The emergence and opportunities of new social networks including Google+ and Pinterest
- How to integrate social media to your events
- Social media for crisis communications
- Integrating social media into your online newsroom