In October 1953, Lesley Luke — one of the first public relations consultants in Ireland — and E.A. Ned Lawler, public relations officer of the ESB, wrote the following to colleagues working in public relations:
From time to time some of us engaged in PR in Ireland have discussed the desirability of forming a society, association or club which would enable us to exchange information, advance the interests of PR generally and enjoy one another's company more frequently.
Arising from that letter, and also the pressing matter of the appointment by Bord Fáilte of a PRO at that time, a meeting was held on October 28, 1953 at the then Jury's Hotel on Dame Street in Dublin. In addition to Lesley Luke and Ned Lawler, the others present were Sam Suttle, also from ESB, James Manning of the Great Northern Railway, Tom Sheehy of Fógra Fáílte, Eamon Curry of Bord Fáilte, David J. Hayes of Aer Lingus, Ms Pat Hunt of Butlins Holiday Camps and Mrs P. Rushton.
This meeting agreed to the formation of the Public Relations Institute of Ireland, initially called the association of Irish Public Relations Officers with Ned Lawler as the first Chairman.